Saturday, October 21, 2006

Psycho Tests

The classic DiSC test. Have you heard of it? This is a pretty simple, but effective management tool which poses a series of ideas which the testee ranks by the level of personal identification with one or more of them.

Something like this:

Please select ONE of the following which most describes you in a social situation--

a). Timid
b). Gregarious
c). Magnetic
d). Adolf Hitler
e). Pissed Off
f). Weary

You go through several dozen sets of these and then click a "Submit Test for Analysis" button. Your computer whirs and smokes a little (at least MY computer does--all the surgeon general warnings notwithstanding). After it comes back, this PDF version test results window comes up and you get to read all about your personality.

This is pretty cool since the classic DiSC test was written by an optimist. This guy thinks that there are no bad personalities, only bad questions.

For example, I recently tested myself and my entire team. We got together in my richly appointed conference room (you think I'm joking, but I'm not) and read portions of each other's tests out loud.

Even the people I was pretty sure would have a negative test actually came back looking like champions. Naturally, mine looked great, but that was no surprise.

Anyway, I got to thinking how funny it would be if someone created a test that would actually TELL THE TRUTH about some people.

The DiSC test stands for: D-dominant type; I-influencing type; S-stable type; C-conscientious type.

In the DiSC test, you have various combinations but one type that usually emerges as your primary type. I, for example, rated high on "D" but was predominantly an "I". That would be referred to as a "high I".

So anyway, what if you had one with an acronymn like:

AWFNiC

Since I'm running short on time, I'll ask for your help to come up with what each of those categories mean :)

1 comment:

Jack W. Regan said...

Oooh, this is a great idea. A Stupid Blog personality test. Excellent. Okay:

AWFNiC

A=Abstract type. This type of person may or may not bother to add up the figures at the bottom of the company's balance sheets. They might think that being "close" is good enough.

W=Weanie type. Gives up lunch money without asking, in fact, seeks out the company bully in order to hand it over.

F=Flatulent type. Should be fired immediately.

N=Nefarious type. Will doubtless rise through the ranks, but should be kept under close surveillance at all times.

i=indignant type. Goes about the office with a hurt and self-righteous expression and is fond of terms such as, "Well!" and "Be that way!"

C=Caeser type. Will be the dominant person in the office, but likely will be assassinated at the next opportune moment.